If you talk about the most popular programming languages in 2019, PHP would emerge victorious without any doubt! Hypertext Preprocessor, popularly known as PHP, is basically a server-side scripting language which has got extreme popularity due to the fact that it's very less time-consuming, flexible, and easy to learn and implement. More than 80% of all websites around the world are using PHP which can prove the usefulness of the programming language in today's date and beyond.
But there's more! There are many PHP frameworks which can help you get complex jobs done with ease. Every small and large website design company makes use of the PHP frameworks as per their preference. However, you should know about the best PHP frameworks that can be beneficial for you. Our guide will help you throughout the process.
Reasons for Using PHP Framework
In order to streamline your web app development, PHP frameworks provide with a basic structure. Moreover, they speed up the development process and add to the responsiveness of the website or web applications which will help businesses enhance their performance. So, without any further ado, let's explore the best PHP frameworks available on the internet.
Top 7 PHP Frameworks to Use for Web Development
We have picked these frameworks after immense research and real-time testing. This list is based on the performance and popularity of each of the frameworks.
After the inception in 2011, Laravel promptly became the most reliable free, open-source PHP framework across the globe. Laravel is capable of handling complicated web applications at a faster pace with the finest security measures, compared to other frameworks. The development process is simplified by Laravel with the simplification of the common tasks like routing, caching, authentications, and sessions.
Reasons for using Laravel
- Laravel is the best choice for developing apps with complicated requirements for backend. Now, with Homestead, installing Laravel is way easier to be installed.
- The endless list of features present in Laravel makes it possible to make a lot of customization on complex apps. Customizations like MVC architecture support, data migration, template engine viewing, routing, security, and authentication can really make your job easier during web development.
- The security and speed are the two most crucial aspect for any modern web development project. Laravel is highly flexible and scalable which will evolve according to the change in web trends.
Popular for its tiny size (2 MB, including documentation), CodeIgniter is a PHP framework which can help you build any dynamic website with absolute ease. A number of prebuilt modules are provided by this framework that aids in creating sturdy and reusable elements that are surely going to help your website work exceptionally well.
Reasons for using CodeIgniter
- CodeIgniter is a straightforward and lightweight PHP framework that can be installed without any complexities. Beginners would love this framework owing to an illustrated documentation and a simple setup procedure.
- Advanced features like error-handling, built-in security tools, MVC architecture, excellent yet simple documentation alongside its ability to build scalable web apps and websites make CodeIgniter more appealing.
- If you are willing to develop lightweight and faster applications, CodeIgniter is your best choice with a solid performance.
Caution: Considering the irregular release of CodeIgniter, the security measures are not at par.
Launched in the year of 2005, Symfony is not only a PHP framework that has stayed in the market longer than the others, but it also is one of the most mature and reliable platforms when it comes to the best PHP frameworks. Moreover, Symfony is the only PHP framework that follows the PHP and web standards in the most precise way.
Reasons for Using Symfony
- If you want to develop large-scale projects, Symfony is the best choice since it is immensely simple to install and setup on the majority of platforms.
- The reusable PHP elements, stability, and engine-independent database are some features that make Symfony worth using for your web development project. Apart from the capability of compiling with most design patterns, Symfony can be easily integrated with the other vendor libraries.
- The high flexibility of Symfony lets it integrate with the larger project such as Drupal. The similarities in the features of Laravel and Symfony often make it difficult to determine which framework is better!
Note: Laravel is simple and offers values to the beginners in web development. But Symfony is more focused on the advanced developers and a little difficult to start with.
Your search for a simple and elegant PHP framework ends with CakePHP. CakePHP helps you develop feature-rich and visually appealing websites with a simplistic approach, especially for its CRUD nature (Create, Read, Update, Delete). After its arrival in the early 2000s, CakePHP has continuously grown more with new components and better performance.
Reasons for Using CakePHP
- Simply, a copy of the framework and a web server are enough to install CakePHP.
- The high-security measures including cross-site scripting (XSS) protection, input validation, prevention of SQL injection, and CSRF protection make CakePHP an outstanding choice for commercial applications.
- The other features that can stimulate any user using CakePHP as the framework are fast builds, validation, security, and proper class inheritance. Moreover, CakePHP's out-of-the-box documentation, premium support, and support portals also build a fan base for the framework.
Standing for "Yes It Is", Yii framework is simple and evolutionary. A PHP framework based on component, Yii is a high-performing framework that can build state-of-the-art web applications with ease. All sorts of web apps can be developed with Yii which makes it a widespread framework for web programming.
Reasons for Using Yii
- Robust security features and simple installation process of Yii allow the framework to build highly secure CMS, portals, eCommerce projects, forums, and more.
- The extensibility of Yii helps you customize almost all the pieces of the core's code. However, you have to face a steep learning curve if you are a beginner or using the framework for the first time.
- With a massive community, using the framework, getting help during a web development project using Yii is immensely easy. A core developer team, working on the framework makes continuous improvements on the development.
A completely object-oriented framework, Zend Framework comes with advanced features like inheritance and interfaces which allow it to be extendable. Built on agile methodology, this PHP framework helps you in building applications with high quality and delivering them to the enterprise clients. This PHP framework is highly compatible with PHP best practices and customizable at the same time.
Reasons for Using Zend
- If you're going to develop enterprise-level, complex projects, Zend Framework can come in handy, being the apt framework for the banks and large IT departments.
- Zend Framework comes with some highly advanced features from the likes of session management, data encryption, simple Cloud API, and MVC components.
- The integration facility with the external libraries adds to the benefits of using Zend. Moreover, Zend lets you make use of the elements you want. With exceptional documentation and large community base, Zend will surely be one of the best choices among the PHP frameworks.
Caution: A difficult learning curve for mobile app developers.
Originally written in C and C++, Phalcon is a full-stack PHP framework which was released in 2012. Also, MVC web architecture design pattern is employed by the framework. You don't have to learn the C development language while developing a project using Phalcon due to the fact that the framework is delivered as C-extension.
Reasons for Using Phalcon
- For developing configurable web application in accordance with guidelines for enterprise development, Phalcon is the most suitable PHP framework with an easy installation process.
- A universal autoloader, topnotch security, caching, asset management, and enhanced execution speed are some of the features that speak on behalf of Phalcon when it comes to choosing a PHP framework.
- The performance optimization facility of Phalcon, which is possible for effective memory consumption, makes it unique from the other counterparts. Phalcon is the only destination if you want to develop a lightning fast website.
These are the top seven PHP frameworks trending in the market at the moment. You can try them for your web development project as per the nature and requirement. Using the PHP framework ensures workload minimization along with sturdy, scalable, secure, and state-of-the-art website and web applications. So, give them a try in line with your specific requirements and enjoy an end-product that will surely excel.